Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fall yumminess



So here is a picture of my porch mom. It isn't complete yet, I haven't gotten my cornstalks but you can get the idea. I put the second picture on so you can see my dying grass. I completely forgot that grass goes dormant here. So anyway, when I asked my neighbor next door what do I do for my grass to keep it alive, you can imagine the stupidity I felt when he said, "it's not dying, it's going dormant for the winter." Now in my defense, our lawn looks WAY worse than anyone elses and you know the lawn trouble we had in Orlando, so I think that it was a reasonable question. So our lawn is now going dormant and the leaves are starting to change. Yep, fall has arrived. Today was our first day of cold weather and to honor the occasion I made apple cake. I love that apples are so cheap here. I am taking advantage of it and am putting them to good use!

Apple Cake

3 large eggs 1tsp baking soda
2 cups flour 2tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar 2tsp cinnamon
1 cup oil 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups tart chopped apples
Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Mix sugar, oil and add to egg mixture. mix flour, soda, salt & cinnamon and add to mix. Add vanilla. Fold in apples and por into greased 9x11 greased pan. bake at 359* for about an hour. You can cover with cream cheese icing or icecream, or poke holes in it while warm and drizzle caramel into it. SO GOOD! I however, did not have any extra toppings today and it was delicious!

6 comments:

Kerrie said...

Your outside decor looks great! And your cake looks yummy. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Nana's heart said...

Well, all I can say besides your porch looks great is:
"YOU LITTLE STINKER! YOU STOLE THE RECIPE I WAS GOING TO PUT ON MY BLOG FRIDAY FOR KERRIE" I guess great minds think alike. Oh well, I will come up with something else fallish. Thanks for the picture and post. I enjoyed it very much!

Anonymous said...

I love your porch! It looks very martha stewartish. I was just telling Kerrie today that I need some cute ideas for a cute fall porch!

Are you going to come hang with us this weekend?? We are all going to Kerries tomorrow. My mom, Holly, and me! Come par-tay with us!!!

Rupper Family said...

So festive Ariann! Now aren't you glad that you moved back to a place that has actual changes of season? Come February you'll hate it, but gosh it's always nice to see the fall leaves, and for Christmas to feel like Christmas.

Dubb Days said...

Oh how cute is your front porch. All that is missing is me sitting on it chatting away with you and laughing at all the fun takes you have on life! Hope you have a good fall and look foward to the winter pics!

Connie said...

I don't remember getting any of that apple cake....that's okay, you can make it for the next game night.