Monday, December 8, 2008

Festival of the Nativities 2008






This year I have really been aware of my blessings. Not that I am not always grateful for what I have, but sometimes it is easy for me to fall into the "woe is me" mood. With the economy in such bad shape my awareness of others has increased and my attitude has done some shifting- for the better. I have always loved Christmas and all the commercial aspects of the holiday. I do know what the true meaning of Christmas is and I do enjoy the religious aspect of the season, but I admit that the dazzle and the sparkle of beautifully wrapped gifts under the Christmas tree and pretty new Christmas clothes has always been an important part of my holiday. I am ashamed to admit that. This year I have opened my heart and my eyes to what is truly important. Today is Dec. 8 and we have few gaily wrapped packages under our tree. We realized that the time we spend as a family is the best gift that we could give ourselves. The memories that we make with our children are priceless and will be treasured always. We have been on the hunt for fun family events this season and have come up with quite a list. Last night we attended the festival of the nativities at the stake center across from the temple. It was BEAUTIFUL! When we were done there we went across the street to the temple grounds and let the kids "go to the temple." They are such sweet spirits that teach me on a daily basis. They have a love for the temple that is almost palpable. I am very grateful that we are so blessed. I know that many of you are experiencing difficult times. When life seems unbearable just look into the sweet faces of your children and you will realize how wealthy you are!

5 comments:

Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

We were there too! I just LOVE the Festival of the Nativity! But we didn't have time to walk around the temple, and I regret that.

Can you share the list of family Christmas activities you have come up with? We are looking for fun things to do!

Nana's heart said...

Good thing I got my haircut tonight. I knew it was getting out of control but when I see it in living color I realize how bad it was. Oh well, in years to come I will remember the special night, not how badly I needed a haircut! That stake does such a beautiful job. There is no way any camera could capture it but I'm glad you brought yours!

Anonymous said...

Holly and me were just talking today about how much we liked this post. You wrote it really well and it was such a great reminder to what is really important. It is definitely a year for spiritual growth.
I love how you and your fam are ALWAYS doing such fun stuff. I need to get my butt in gear....

Maxwell Family said...

You are so inspiring! Thank you for the pick me up I needed today. Sometimes it's hard to not get caught up in all the hoopla of the season. My motto this year is keep it simple and I'm enjoying the time with my family so much more. I wish we had a live native here. It sounds like a wonderful activity to attend.
Your family is adorable!

Maxwell Family said...

I tried to email you but it didn't go through.
Here's my address
1617 Olua St.
Minden, NV
89423