Thursday, June 26, 2008

afternoon rains



Here in Florida during the summer we get rain every afternoon. The humidity along with the sea breezes colliding mean that we have strong thunder and lightning storms every day starting around 3 in the afternoon. Because we know that these storms are inevitable, we have to plan our days accordingly. I try to take the kids to the Ocoee pool 2-3 times a week and the other days we use the blow up pool ( the one Wendy named "the maxi pad"). I have figured out that if we do the water activities in the morning, then the kids are usually worn out and tired by the time the thunder starts rolling. Summer is passing fairly quickly and I am loving that the kids play outside for a good chunk of the day, but lately I have come to dread the afternoons. Being confined in the house during our storms means no air conditioning, no TV, no computer and limited light bulb use. We have to turn off electrical appliances so that we won't attract lightning strikes. As much as I am not in love with my house, I don't really care to see everything I own burned to a crisp. Last week I decided that we need an afternoon schedule, so I have been scouring the Internet and every locally published brochure looking for indoor activities. Yesterday I took the kids to see "Happy Feet" at our local movie theater. Yes, I know that it is an old movie- in fact we own it- but the movie was free and they keep the air conditioning on. I even bought myself a new bag that sort of resembles grandma Jideen's old bowling bag and I too filled it with goodies. Maybe next week I will actually remember to bring said bag with us! Tomorrow is library day. Now I need 3 more afternoon activities and I am set! I tried to fill the afternoon with nap time but only Brayden and I liked that idea. If anyone knows of good indoor play I am up for some suggestions!

9 comments:

Camie said...

I loved that old bag!Grandma alway backed it full!

Holly said...

I was up late a couple nights ago and got hooked on the Travel Channel. They were telling me all about the four Disney parks in Orlando. Made me even more jealous of you! I have to go someday I'm telling ya! I think the Animal Kingdom looks amazing. anyway...there's a little tidbit for ya.

mom said...

I like the nap idea myself. Too bad it will be a cold day in you know where before you talk Kaity into that one! I'll have to put on my thinking cap. Hey, how about taking up sewing and getting Kaity to make some doll clothes? Sound too much like work? Yea, I hear ya!

Anonymous said...

It looks like the kids are having fun in the rain! I love rain showers. I'm with you though, trying to find activities to fill all of our days is rough. At least your kids have each other to occupy themselves as well. Lily relies completely on me and it can be exhausting keeping that girl busy!

Dubb Days said...

How fun to read your blog! It was great being able to chat with you last week. We need to get together sometime! It is crazy how many storms there are here. I really hope we have a mild hurricane season!

smiles2u said...

Maybe you should check out JoAnn's Craft store for activities. They have some summer camps for kids 5+. I thought there might be something creative that your kids would enjoy.

Kerrie said...

Wow, your kids look tan. It looks like they are having a great summer, but I hear you it is easy for them to get bored, and with little electricity, that's even harder. My kids love games, sorry that's my only suggestion. Here are some of my kids favorites: Clue, Battleship, Hisss (FUN!!), and Castle Keep (FUN!) Hope that helps.

Unknown said...

hummmm....still not feeling sorry for you!!!!!:)

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

Thanks Aubrey! I'm not looking for sympathy, I am looking for suggestions! Thank you everyone else! :)