Thursday, June 12, 2008

What do you do in the summertime...


Oh what do you do in the summertime when the air is as thick as pea soup, and the sun is about a thousand degrees? You play in the water of course! We live in Florida, a state that is surrounded by water, it rains EVERY afternoon and yet we are told that we are in a water shortage. I can't quite figure that one out. Anyway, since our house did not sell, we are once again facing a summer without a real swimming pool. We told the kids last summer "to hang in there, once the house sells we will buy a new house with a huge community pool." I was hoping that they wouldn't remember or care, but I of course was being delusional. Every day since school let out I have heard them whining about a pool. Friday I turned on the sprinklers in the front yard, put the kids in their suits and said go at it! They just kinda stared at me and half heartedly jumped through the sprinkles of water a few times. I could tell by the disappointed looks on their faces, and the muttering under their breaths that this was NOT what they had in mind. I was determined to ignore them and was doing a pretty good job of it when the water police drove down the street. He slowed down, shook his finger at me and motioned for me to turn off the water. I politely smiled, waved and of course ignored him. The next day I received a "friendly" reminder notice in the mail that stated "we are to only water two days a week and after 4pm." WHAT!? I decided that I would show them! I cleaned up the kids and off to Walmart we went on an important mission! I found the biggest blowup pool they made and bought it. Once at home we went right to work setting up our new pride and joy! Stupid water man- thought that he could take away all our fun. How wrong he was. We now have a swimming pool that takes 2 hours to fill up each and every morning. This afternoon when wanna be cop drove by, I had both kids wave at him. He just shook his head and kept on going. I really do care about the earth's resources, and I don't normally waste water- but don't mess with me when it comes to keeping my sanity. Please, for the childrens' sake!!

7 comments:

Rupper Family said...

Ariann,
I just bought that same pool, we call it the maxi pad. I didn't think about the color when I bought it, but doesn't it look like a new product line created by Kotex? Have a happy period, er, uh, summer. We have just the opposite problem here though, I want to fill it up and send the kids out, but it doesn't seem to stay warm enough, and yeah, filling the thing takes forever!
gotta go eat some brownies for dinner-Brett's out of town. he he he.

Holly said...

Ha ha, you're so funny Ariann. Good luck with selling your house! That's so exciting.

Christine said...

Trying to sell your house too? Yeah, know what that is like! :) Finally we have a day warm enough to call summer and play in the water!
I have experienced that thick Florida air one vacation long ago and I don't admire you for having that!
Cute pictures.

Camie said...

The pool looks fun but my dog would have it popped the sec I blow it up. I have it get the round plastic ones. Im with you on keeping the kids happy and mom :)!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ariann! That's so funny! I'm all for wasting the water in exchange for sanity!

Unknown said...

I want a maxie pad pool!!! :)

Nana's heart said...

Trust Wendy to come up with a name like "Maxi Pad" for a pool and trust Aubrey to capitalize on it! You are both crazy! Happy swimming!