Friday, June 20, 2008

Fun in the Sun



Last week Travis got tired of hearing me complain " there is absolutely no where for us to swim!" so he went onto the Internet and found a city pool that is only 7 miles away. Unfortunately, it is also the only city pool in a 35 mile radius. I guess the city doesn't think that it is necessary to build a lot of these pools because so many people have their own pool or at least a neighborhood community pool. The rest of us are left to fight over a handful of chairs or a spot of hot cement next to this germ infested body of water disguised as a swimming pool. Nevertheless, I am not to be discouraged. I pack up the kids each morning and head for the pool so that I can be first in line at opening time. I inherited my moms determination and take charge attitude which insures me a chaise lounger in good view of the shallow end and the freak show.

Yesterday, Travis had the day off and the kids were so excited to show them their new tricks. Kaity can now swim under water, and Brayden is willing to stand under the mushroom that dumps water onto his head. I was also anxious for him to see the people that I have been trying unsuccessfully to describe to him every night over dinner. Imagine my disappointment when there was not a single Hispanic woman fully clothed submerged in the deep end of the pool. That is a daily occurrence- where where they? There wasn't a single kid swimming in just their underpants, nor were there any gangster boys swimming fully dressed in black. I know Travis didn't believe my stories when looking around all he saw were middle aged moms with babies on their laps. Then FINALLY, the extra, extra large woman with the itty bitty tiny weenie bikini showed up in all her glory. I think that Travis needs to call in sick to work tomorrow and give our pool another chance. The kids loved having him there- all the kids in the pool- and he provided me with the daily entertainment that I usually get from all the weirdos that were MIA. Besides, I know the freaks will be back and I must prove that they exist!

6 comments:

Camie said...

Lagoona beach is the same way, its kinda fun just sitting back and people watch, well then again it can be pretty scary too!

Nana's heart said...

Oh shucks Camie! I was hoping Florida had the market on all the freaks and weirdo's! Do you mean to tell us that even Lagoon has its fair share?
Ariann, I know you said the pool was closed for a few days. Is it open again? I'll have to come watch the kids do their tricks next time you go!

Anonymous said...

Normally I would feel bad for you. Only having one community pool for the kids to play in because we know how that is the best thing to do on a hot summer afternoon. But when I think about how Disney World is a 15 minute drive for you, I can't seem to bring myself to feel any sympathy!!!
Although I agree with you, pools are germ infested and disgusting-I feel bad about that.

Unknown said...

I am with bonnie - i don't feel too terribly bad for you! Although, i must say.... I do LOVe a good freak show now and then!

smiles2u said...

It's so funny because as I looked at the pictures. My first thought was "there is no one is there". It doesn't look a thing like it did the day we went together. You're not kidding about the big mamas with their tattoos and all their clothes on. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Kerrie said...

I hate to think about all the germs that exist everywhere. When I do it just makes me sick to my stomach. I guess I like to play niave. Too bad we couldn't play niave about the people we see in the pool, but sometimes, you can't help your mouth falling open. I guess as long as your kids are having, that's what counts, right? The sacrifices we make for our kids.