Monday, August 11, 2008

getting ready

School starts in exactly one week from this morning! Normally I am bursting with joy and excitement and gleefully joining in with the TV commercials that sing "It's the most wonderful time of the year." This year is different. Brayden will now be joining Kaitlynn at school which leaves me home alone all by myself. At first I was overjoyed at the prospect of showering for more than two minutes (and actually getting to take the time to shave my legs in said shower) and the the thoughts of grocery shopping all by myself made me almost giddy with anticipation, but now the time is near and I am starting to panic! My sense of self is defined as mommy. Sad I know- but somehow in the past 8 years, I lost a sense of who I am. Oprah always talks about finding your bliss, but I don't have any idea what my bliss is! I need to quickly figure out the answer to that question because I have been having a recurring nightmare where I am sitting home alone watching TV all day and eating- a lot! Needless to say, I need to "find my bliss," or I will end up gaining a hundred pounds and turning into a hermit! Any suggestions!?

So with school starting we have been busy getting the kids ready and organized. Last week I was tired of Kaitlynn's room looking as though a hurricane had blown through it, and fighting with her to clean it up. I sent her outside to play and then I got to work. I went through everything and just threw it all out! I bagged it up and took it straight down to the curb for the garbage man. She was horrified, but now has a spotlessly clean room with plenty of space for new school clothes. It's too bad that she and I can't agree on appropriate new school clothes so with one week to go she has only one new dress. Kaity wants halter tops with sparkles and I want plaid skirts and hair bows. It looks like we will have to do some major compromising this week or she will be headed to the third grade looking like an orphan in worn out clothes. Good thing that Brayden has zero fashion sense. He would go to school in just his boxers if I would let him. He proudly put on his backpack and new shoes this morning and told me he was "ready to go to my kindergarten!" He was quite disappointed when I told him it wasn't the right day and that next week he has to put clothes on before he puts on his backpack. To be continued...

8 comments:

Rupper Family said...

Uh Ariann,...being home alone for a few hours would be bliss for me! If you're looking for more, maybe you could ask to be the YW president-in my ward! I have some scrapbooking and quilting I've been wanting to pull out, but then I see the mold growing in the toilet and think I'd better clean the bathroom before I get on to my hobbies, oh yeah, I should get the mountain of laundry washed sometime too. I don't think I'll get to work on my projects until I'm retired!!! Just remember, if you get too bored you can always come here, we can find plenty to do!

Nana's heart said...

Somehow I think you'll find ways to fill the time. I can't believe they will both be in school! How did I get to be this old without realizing what was happening?! I hear there won't be many substitute teaching opportunities with all the cut-backs. I guess we will have to learn to sew "Kaitlyn style". That should be challenging enough!

Unknown said...

Oh, I feel for you! I can't imagine my day without Zach! I can't believe he is going all day!
rachel isn't going to know what to do with herself! On the upside - FREEDOM FOR YOU!!!!!

Dubb Days said...

anytime you want to borrow one of mine to get a mommy fix, let me know:) What does Oprah know anyway--mommy is your bliss and still will be. It is great Brayden is excited! Sorry couldn't go swimming with you guys today. Life sure is different with a 2 month old!

Anonymous said...

Aubrey said it right-FREEDOM!! You can do anything you choose!!
Although I would have the same fear, in fact I KNOW I would become a hermit! I still have a LONG time before that happens...

Kerrie said...

I hear PTO president in the making! That will take care of your spare time. Actually, just enjoy the first little bit of it, and then I bet things will present themselves to you. I have to laugh about the whole Kaitlyn and clothes situation. It must be a third grader thing, they are such independent stickers.

Camie said...

Im counting down the days for school to start, I will only have Sarah at home. I hope to be able to keep the house clean!
Hey, missed you this week, Your mom said you were doing good!

Anonymous said...

It's great checking out what's happening in my far-away family. Having both kids in school opens lots of possibilities. There is always school for you. Whether it is furthering your education or taking a class in something you maybe always thought you'd like to learn i.e. Tai Chi, photography, dance, ??? Also, schools are always in need of volunteer help. Spending a couple hours a week helping in Katie and Bradens classes would not only be rewarding, but is sure to be exciting for them. Well, take care. I'll give you guys a call one of these days. Love you. Dad in California