Monday, August 18, 2008

Oh yeah baby! School day!




This morning I awakened to the sounds of shutters slamming open, followed by Brayden hollering "KAITLYNN! OH YEAH BABY, SCHOOL DAY!!" Next the sound of feet thundering down the hallway forced me from my bed. Summer is over. Instead of bursting into tears, I bravely put on my game face and smiling the best that I could, asked Brayden what he wanted for breakfast. Cereal had been poured and bananas peeled before I saw Kaitlynn slowly make her way into the kitchen. Brayden was so excited that he couldn't sit still long enough to finish his breakfast while Kaitlynn was determined to eat as slowly as she could so she would be late for school. Finally after 30 minutes, I told her that she was going to school no matter what and that she would have to go without having her hair combed if she didn't get a move on it! After that, things progressed nicely and away to school we went. Brayden barely gave us a second thought as he bounded into his classroom. I tearfully lingered outside his classroom window and watched as he blossomed into a kindergartner. Thankfully Travis took the day off so that I wouldn't be alone to wallow in pity. He took me to lunch and bought me a new pair of shoes and then we went to pick up the kids at school. As I nervously waited for the dismissal bell to ring, I kept my fingers crossed that both kids enjoyed their day. I worried for nothing. Both kids came flying down the sidewalk all grins trying to talk at once. "I love school " was heard from both children and in that moment my heart soared. I still don't know how I am going to spend all my free time, but finally I am feeling some peace and I have hope that I will figure out what to do with this next phase in my life. My children's joy is contagious. Hopefully today is an indication for what kind of year we have in store.

5 comments:

Nana's heart said...

What a relief! I'm so glad they are both smiling and looking forward to school. Too bad it's closed tomorrow----in anticipation for our first hurricane of the season! They both look great in their new school duds!

Unknown said...

Yay! You survived it! Wasn't it fun shopping without them?:) It was fun to talk to Kaity lastnight - she is soooo grown up!

Rupper Family said...

Ahhh...your babies are all grown up! I'm glad you were brave. It's so sweet that Travis took the day off for you too, he's so sweet!

Dubb Days said...

That is wonderful that they both loved it. I am sure they are more than happy to have parents volunteer in the classroom:) Way to go Travis, hanging out with your wife and getting her a prize for being brave!

Holly said...

I know...we missed you at the reunion too! It was a good time, but I heard you were at DisneyWorld so I'm sure you had a better time. I'm just watching the news this morning on the big storm that's all over Florida. Is it affecting you?