Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I love him

Yesterday I had to take Brayden to the doctor to get his shots for kindergarten. I knew that he was very nervous because he kept hiding all morning long. When it was time to get in the car he was missing again so I went looking for him. I found him in Kaitlynn's bedroom closet hugging his Mickey Mouse doll. I agreed to let him bring Mickey along if he promised to quietly get into the car. Now I must mention that Mickey has seen better days. He has been an important part of our family for almost 4 years, yet he looks like he has been around for about 25. His peach face is now a deep gray, his red trousers have long since faded to a dull pinkish color and his white gloves are almost black. Upon arrival at the pediatrician's office I suggested leaving Mickey in the van where he could take a nap. Brayden wouldn't hear of that and informed me that it was "too hot and Mickey will be dead." So into the office we ALL went. We had to wait for an eternity before our name was called and the waiting room just kept filling up. Every time a new patient would enter the room they would come sit beside me in the only empty chair. They would take one look at the disgusting germ filled mouse on my lap and quietly get up and move. Needless to say I was mortified! When it was finally our turn, Brayden sitting up on the big table said "I need to hug Mickey." The nurse said no problem and turned to get it for him. In mid reach, she jerked her hand back and said I think that mom better do that. Okay, if I hadn't completely died of embarrassment in the waiting room, I surely did at that moment.

Once we made it home I decided that I didn't care that the tag on Mickeys pants said "Wash with a damp cloth." He needed a full bath. Brayden saw me head to the laundry room with mouse in hand and FREAKED out. I told him that I was going to put him in the washer so that he would be clean and new again. Brayden crying said,"No mommy. It will make him be broken when he comes out." I told him that was a risk that we were just going to have to take and if the worst happened I would buy him a new one exactly like the old one. He yanked Mickey out of my hands and sobbing cried "but I love him. I don't want a new one. I don't want Mickey dead." I am not proud to say I gave in. His sobbing over his best friend broke my heart. My child will probably contract some weird disease from his germ covered doll, but at least I am still a hero in my baby's eyes and not a killer!

5 comments:

Camie said...

OH I hate the kindergarten shots. I need to get Johnathan in for his. And Kylee needs her 12 year old shots.
There are so many of stuffed toys I have washed ,you do have to sneak then in the wash though, wash it on gentle and you might want to let it soak for awhile soak and don't stick it in the dryer, I did once and it melted all the hair on a stuff bear, let it air dry. Good luck!

Nana's heart said...

I will witness that Mickey looks like a disease carrier. Even I (grandma) cringed a little when he handed me Mickey to babysit the other day while he went to Disney! I think you should try Cammie's suggestion. But if Mickey dies I will deny I ever said it. Oops, I guess this is your proof. Oh well.

Holly said...

Okay, I need to see a picture of this Mickey. Is it really that bad??
On another note, what a sweet little boy you have there Ariann. Oh, and also, no I haven't seen One Tree Hill, but I'm going to go TIVO it so I can see that little boy you were talking about.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Holly, I think I need a pic of poor old mickey. Is he really that bad??
Good job Brayden for getting his shots! I hate needles.

Kerrie said...

Oh, that is so sweet. Every guy should have a confort toy. Mickey is so much better than like a troll doll. I wish I had some suggestions for you on how to get Mickey clean, but i don't. good luck on that and make sure you keep us posted.