Thursday, May 22, 2008

old lady




This morning as I rolled over in bed and cracked open an eye, I saw the sun brightly shining through the window. I seriously contemplated pulling the covers over my head and staying that way for the next 24 hours, when a little voice chirped "happy birthday mommy!" Now how can a mommy resist that sweet sound even if it is her 30th birthday?! Yep 30. I am officially old. I have been dreading this day for the past year. In fact, last year I threw myself a birthday party and decided that I wasn't celebrating any more birthdays- I would forever be 29. I guess that my kids didn't fully understand that concept because this morning I awoke to balloons, a chocolate cake and a sparkly tiara. I was informed that I was the princess for the day and I could do what ever I wanted, but please please please can we go to Magic Kingdom? Well since I now had a tiara, off to the magic kingdom we went-again. I was expecting it to be like always - long lines, humidity, delicious smelling food that is not on a diabetic diet and of course my bad luck-the first day of my menstrual cycle! But being the good sport that I am, I downed half a bottle of Advil, cracked open a diet coke, firmly secured my princess tiara onto my head and climbed into the van. We entered the main gates and for the first time EVER got to park in the front of the car line. Next we didn't have to wait in line to actually enter the magic kingdom. We were on a roll! This isn't going to be so bad I thought. Next we hurried over to splash mountain to try and beat the lines at the most popular ride in the whole park. We were in line by ourselves which meant we had the whole boat to ourselves. As we got off the ride we were greeted by Disney staff that presented us each with a dream fast pass necklace. We were given passes to the front of the line to every ride in the whole park. After the next ride, a stranger walked by and offered Kaity and Brayden a set of Mickey Mouse ears that he had just won. Wow! We really were in a "magic" kingdom. We are Wheeler's. We do not have this kind of good luck! Now I was anxious to get going home- I needed to go buy a lotto ticket!

What a great day I had! I may be old now, but I realized that just means that I have 30 years full of blessings and things to be grateful for! I have the most loving husband any girl could ask for, two beautiful children, a close knit family, a fantastic mother in law and grandma in law that remembered my birthday, and good girlfriends (thanks for the blog tribute Wendy! I don't know what I would do without you). Thank you everyone for a wonderful birthday! I love you!

5 comments:

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Ariann!!! Hey, you know you can be 29 forever. Just ask my mom. She stuck with that age for years. I think I was 16 and she was still claiming 29. No one was the wiser....I think. Anyway, glad you had a great day. Did you ever buy that lotto ticket?

Holly said...

Okay, I just read your friend's post about you. That was so sweet! It made me so proud to be your cousin and so sad I didn't "know" you sooner!

Unknown said...

I LOVEd Wendy's tribute too! I was glad to hear that you stole her clothes too - that always drove me crazy!!!! :)
I thought of you all day! It looks like you really were the Princess for the day! Happy 30!

Camie said...

See it was a good thing you got up! Happy b-day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ariann! So glad it was such a good day for you! You look like a hot 30 year old mamma! Now I'm off to read Wendy's tribute