Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy 4th of July!




This year for the fourth of July we stayed home instead of going out of town. Friday was the fourth and we attended the annual Apopka ward breakfast and patriotic program. The kids were part of "it's a grand old flag" song and enjoyed marching through the chapel waving miniature flags. The motivational speaker was a fruit loop from the ward that was either putting me to sleep or making me bolt upright in my chair thinking"Did He Just Say That!?" He seemed to think that it was his opportunity to stand on his soap box and preach his political views. TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE! Yeah it was some good times. Next year I heard rumor that the speaker will have to have his talk approved before he/she will be allowed to give it.

Later that night we hung out with the Johnson's and the Douberley's for a BBQ. Good food and great friends is a nice way to pass the evening. Saturday Travis had to work, So I was home with the kids until about 2 o'clock. I had planned to take the kids to the pool during the morning hours but discovered that I had left all our swim gear in the trunk of Travis' car- so no pool. Sometimes miracles come in strange ways. Instead of the big pool I decided to fill up the little pool and let the kids run around the yard. As soon as I turned off the water, my phone rang. It was dad calling to tell me his scooter had broken down in the middle of the hood and that he might need me to come get him. Turns out that mom was able get home on her scooter and come back for him in the truck. Well the truck broke down as well. Dad called me again and I threw the kids in the van and went and picked them up. I guess that it is a very good thing that I left all our gear in Travis' car so that I would be home to help the parents. Later that evening we had a BBQ with the family and watched Bryce light off all his fireworks. You'll notice Kaity and I in jackets and pants. No, it wasn't chilly out. We were trying to keep the bugs from biting us and carrying us away. We had sweat running down our backs and into unmentionable areas, but we are proud to say not a single bite! So all in all not really an event filled weekend but it was spent with family and friends and that is what really counts.

5 comments:

Nana's heart said...

If you tried REALLY hard you might have been able to find a less flattering picture of me! Is it any wonder I RUN from camera's?
We did have an enjoyable weekend. Thanks for saving us from the "hood". You forgot to mention we were on our maiden voyage to your house. I was just sure I could find enough back roads to make it comfortably on my scooter. Darn, I would have made it too if Dad's big fancy scooter hadn't decided to stop running!

Holly said...

Sounds like a good time. You guys are all so tan! That's funny about the fruit loop guy.

Rupper Family said...

You do look tan Ariann! Say, I was at Tahoe last week and I thought of you. We need to plan to get together again before another ten years goes by. Sometime in the winter so you won't make me look so pale when we stand together.
I miss you my friend!

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

Wendy as soon as you aren't nursing a baby we should definitely get together! :) I would trade disney for Tahoe any day!

Dubb Days said...

Hey! Glad we could spend the fourth with you guys. We had a good time.
I really wish I could have heard the "patriotic tribute". Oh well.